Causes of Infertility and Fertility Problems Perth
Fertility Naturopath Perth: Causes of Infertility and Fertility Problems
There are many reasons for infertility. On this page we will outline some of the accepted medical causes in women. While we acknowledge these and take them into account, we do not focus on them as the only factor that needs to be addressed. We also need to ask why these problems occurred in the first place, and how they reflect upon and impact the whole.
Nothing is ever that simple; and in homeopathy in particular we step outside the paradigm of looking for a simple cause to “fix”. We perceive the pattern of imbalance on all levels of the person and choose remedies that help restore balance to that pattern. That approach in itself restores simplicity to a complex problem. True healing only occurs at the level of the whole.
Of course, a great many cases we see are described as “unexplained infertility”. This occurs because the body is simply not healthy enough to achieve pregnancy. Our approach to unexplained infertility is discussed at the bottom of this page.
Homeopathy, when assisted by naturopathic approaches to diet and lifestyle activates and mobilises the innate self-healing forces of the body. We trust in the wisdom of nature and do not claim to be treating serious medical problems directly. The body alone can cure its own problems; and we can only aid that process, by working with nature and not against her.
It is always the person as a whole who is treated for his or her full spectrum of symptoms on all levels of the mind and body. This is so important when dealing with fertility issues, which are a reflection of a multitude of parameters: heredity, diet, stress, emotional issues, sleep problems, organ deficiencies and hormonal irregularities.
Restore harmony, and the body can heal itself. In cases of infertility, we find this is a fundamental approach.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: This is the leading cause of infertility worldwide. As it is normally caused by sexually transmitted bacteria, it needs to be medically diagnosed and treated. Salpingitis, or infection and inflammation of the fallopian tubes, is the most serious complication for fertility.
Antibiotics need to be taken to halt the infection; but chronic problems may continue, which can be helped with naturopathic approaches and homeopathy that improve general health and reduce inflammation and scarring.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: The second most common cause of fertility issues, PCOS is a complex disorder that is characterised by high levels of testosterone and luteinizing hormone, while levels of FSH are too low. The ovarian follicles do not produce eggs, but instead, fluid filled cysts are formed that eventually cover the ovaries.
Blood sugar irregularities and high levels of insulin affect the ovaries and all tissues of the body. As well as infertility, symptoms include excessive facial hair, acne, depression, irregular or absent periods, depression, excessive weight gain and high cholesterol. Naturopathic and homeopathic approaches help the self-regulating mechanism of the body in cases of PCOS.
- Endometriosis: This condition is another common cause of female infertility. It occurs when tissue from the uterine lining implants outside the uterus in the ovaries, vagina, fallopian tubes or pelvis. These can grow and bleed with each menstrual cycle and then block the passage of the egg.
It is contributed to by symptoms of oestrogen dominance and low progesterone in the second half of the cycle. Homeopathic and naturopathic approaches together can deal with the underlying imbalances and help restore fertility.
- Fibroids: These are very common in women over the age of thirty and are leading causes of infertility. They are benign growths that may form in the uterus near the cervix or fallopian tubes and can block the passage of sperm or the implantation of a fertilised egg.
As they are also contributed to by oestrogen dominance, similar naturopathic strategies apply as in endometriosis, although treatment is individual to the case.
- Poor quality and quantity of cervical mucus: Around the time of ovulation a woman’s mucus should increase and thin. This then aids the passage of sperm at the fertile time. Cervical infections, hormonal irregularities and underlying problems with thrush or candida can be contributing problems. For whatever reason, when the mucus is too thick, acidic or unfriendly to sperm it is known as “hostile mucus”.
All problems related to hostile mucus can be aided by diet and lifestyle counselling and holistic homeopathic treatment that balance all the functions of the body and the hormonal system.
- Luteal phase defect: In this disorder, the woman’s corpus luteum fails to produce enough progesterone to thicken the uterine lining, thereby preventing implantation of a fertilised egg. The balancing effect of constitutional homeopathy on the hormonal system in general can help this disorder.
- Hormonal problems: Deficiencies or an imbalance of any of the hormones that regulate a woman’s cycle can result in infertility. As well as constitutional homeopathy to boost overall health, naturopathic strategies of diet and lifestyle can aid in restoring the body’s self-regulating mechanism. We are skilled in finding what will work in your individual case.
- “Unexplained infertility”: When no medical cause can be found the diagnosis is unexplained infertility. This does not mean there is not a problem; it just means the medical system has no answer; and we excel in helping these cases, as explained below.
As any farmer knows, a seed will not germinate or thrive in an unhealthy soil. There are many reasons why the “soil” may be unhealthy.
Poor diet is one. The body may function and all medical test results appear normal. But in its wisdom the body may know that it is neither in the woman’s interests to become pregnant, nor in the potential baby’s, given the extra tax on resources.
Through long experience and research we have identified certain food groups and health food items that help the process and what will work for whom. Beyond a normal fertility multivitamin that we find most women are already taking, we do not believe in supplementation. The medicines used are individually prescribed homeopathy.
Stress is a major factor; but in reality it is the response to stress that is the problem, not the stress itself. Diet also helps here, and stress release measures including exercise, relaxation and meditation are important. Beyond that, the constitutional homeopathic treatment balances the person on all levels, mentally and physically. Patients then report being able to cope much better with the normal stresses of life and feel more optimistic and energised. Of course, this impacts positively on their fertility.
Properly and individually dispensed homeopathic medicine also helps regulate the menstrual cycle and balances the hormonal system, as evidenced by normalisation of cycle length, ovulation parameters, including positive mucus changes, reduction in PMS and duration, flow and pain during the menses. Positive diet and lifestyle changes of course also assist here.
Considering these factors all together, we can help in some way with all the prime medical causes of infertility and with the majority of cases of unexplained infertility. We don’t help everyone of course.
However, all we suggest is four to six months of treatment to see what we can do in your specific case. Our statistics show that consistently between 85% and 90% of women achieve pregnancy in that period of time.
Sidebar First Menu
This is a general practice treating all problems. Here are links to pages on our main site www.cottnat.com.au that describe our approach to many other conditions:
- Cottesloe Naturopathic Clinic
- Unit 5, Napoleon Close Arcade
- 12-18 Napoleon Street
- Western Australia 6011
- Telephone 08 9385 1484
For a limited time only,
Mention this website and receive a 10% discount on your first consultation
Follow up phone consultations now available for country WA patients, after initial visit.
All treatments and advice are individually prescribed through consultation only.